Radeon 9000 on UP2000 - again!

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:21:37 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, A. Devine <domokun at eircom.net> wrote:
> Sorry to dig up an ancient post, but Im wondering if anyone can advise, Im
> have the similar problems as the OP (Radeons and a UP2000). I got a very
> nice Hercules Radeon 9000 PCI card after months of searching Ebay.
> Unfortunately I didnt see this thread and it doesnt work as well as hoped.
> With only the Radeon 9000 in I get no Blue SRM screen at all. So I tried
> Jays suggestion:
>
> With the Radeon on the second PCI bus and a Voodoo3 on the main I can get
> AlphaCore booting but then it hangs on "Initialising Hardware" (right after
> the prompt to goto "Interactive" boot). At the very start of the process
> there are several prompts relating to problems addressing memory for a PCI
> device (presumably the Radeon).
>
> So Im stuck on the hang at "Initialising Hardware".. so close. Any ideas?
> If its truely a lost cause I would be interested in swapping this Radeon for
> the fastest Radeon possible in a UP2000 (Radeon 7000/7500?). It should work
> on other Alpha boards.. I vaguely remember having a 9000 working in a
> Ruffian board for instance(but the Voodoo does not!).

If you put it on pci bus 0, you may be able to have xorg post the card
when it loads using x86emu.  you could use a serial console for
booting purposes and hope xorg can post the card when it starts.  I
have a PCI 9000 as well that only works in alphabios for console
access, however, I've not tried my suggestion so it may work.  The
9000s are the fastest PCI boards ATI made (note there are also 9200
and 9250 PCI boards, but they tend to be the slower SE variants and
the only difference between 9000 and 92xx boards was support for AGP
8x, which is irrelevant here).  the 9100 would be a faster chip as it
is a full R200, however, I'm not sure anyone made PCI 9100s.

Alex