CentOS on wildfire

Jon_norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Sun Aug 13 13:05:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 20:32 +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:
> > Actualluy i wouldn't try too hard as i've EOL'ed the CentOS-4/axp
> > myself and i don't know if anyone is even going to continue mainatining
> > it. If not, it's end of story in few weeks (August 2006).
>
> What's involved in keeping it maintained? I think it's a worthwhile
> project. I've been using CentOS/axp as a test machine for a bit, and it's
> nicely solid.
>
> I'm not sure how much time I've really got right now for side projects,
> but I'd certainly like to discuss keeping CentOS alive on the Alpha if
> anyone else is.

Mike, and list:

Not much chatter on the AXP list lately.  I've been enjoying the speed
and stability of AC2 on my 667 mhz XP machine and waiting for the 64-bit
port of Open Office to be completed.

My son was in town this summer to take a physics calss at the local
state U.  He has a 64-bit AMD laptop with Windows .. he assumed my XP
was a 2 Ghz machine and was surprised to learn that was "only" 667 mhz.

I think there are a few years of life left in the old boxes and hope the
user group will stay together.  We should all be working on it, instead
of leaving the heavy lifting up to two or three guys.

later

jn