memory for an LX164

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Jan 12 01:02:08 UTC 2006

I've got an AplhaStation 200 4/166 here (yes, I know) with 416 MB of RAM.

Every place I look reports 384 MB as the maximum ammount of RAM, for
example:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/a200_specs.html

It has three pairs of 72 pin sim sockets, so 384mb is with 64mb Sims.

The way 416mb happened is I got the machine for cheap with 32MB. That
obviously wasn't enough. Lots of memory vendors were more than willing
to sell me memory guaranteed to work for more than the machine was
worth. So I hung out on eBay, buying likly looking memory (parity, odd
number of identical looking chips, lots of squinting at bad photos). I
got a few 64mb Sims and a couple of 128mb sims. Stuffed them in and they
work no problems.

"show memory" looks somthing like this (pardon typos, no easy cut and
paste):

 >>>show memory
     416 Meg of System Memory
     Bank 0 = 256 Mbytes(128 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x0
     Bank 1 = 128 Mbytes(64 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x10000000
     Bank 2 = 32 Mbytes(16 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x180000000

I don't think it is either unusual or guaranteed for memory devices
larger than were originaly supported by the manufacturer to work.
Sometimes higher density devices were not commonly available for testing
and certification when the spec sheet was written. Sometimes there is a
marketing reason. Sometimes there is actualy a hardware reason.

I think I got lucky. I also think it is a kind of chance I'd be willing
to take again. Weigh the risks (possible but unlikly mother board
damage, wasted money on Simms that won't work) against the benefits. Pay
your money and take your chances -or- play it safe.