Qlogic 1280 driver blues

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Mar 23 14:25:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:29:59PM -0700, Jon_norstog AKA Thursday wrote:

> I managed to DL AC2, got it all from the swiss(?) mirror site
> alphahome.something.  Anyway checksum was OK, I burned it on a windows
> box at work 48X.  It would hardly read on an IDE CDrom drive.  I swapped
> out to a SCSI CDrom and got the install as far as the 1280 driver, where
> it would hang.  PWS500 and XP-667, same both.
>
> I went back and burned CD#1 at 8x.  In the XP it got to the 1280 driver
> again and hung, I went to work in the kitchen, when I got back it had
> moved past to where it asks for the source of the install .. CDrom, NFS,
> etc. ... I hit OK and it said there was no CDrom device detected.
>
> Looks to me like there is an issue with the Qlogic SCSI driver, at
> least the one I downloaded.  I might swap back to an IDE CDrom and see
> what happens.
>
> Anyone else see this?

Sounds like a possible SCSI termination issue, as I've had few problems
with AC2 on those machines with QLogic 1040 chipset.

One possible solution: NFS install. Real easy to set up, and then you
don't have to depend on the CDROM for anything but the initial boot.

Just be sure to have a static IP for the Alpha, as anaconda doesn't seem
to do DHCP right...

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com