Alpha Core 4 Cancelled

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Dec 3 09:56:42 UTC 2007

Hi!

On 12/03/2007 03:09 AM, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Since it's too late (or maybe too early :-) for Oliver to pop up,
> I'll just say that it (F-8 for Alpha) is getting pretty close to
> having something to beta test.

Oh well. I saw that mail, but yes, it was a bit late for me :-)

> Oliver's made a test ISO - not a lot on it, but it DOES create a
> working system, with a few workarounds during install AND after.
> Once installed, there's already a repository of over 7000 RPMS
> that are pretty close to what was released for F-8 on other arches.

Actual status: http://buildsys.zero42.at/status/

There *are* still a lot of issues... Any help is appreciated!

> As usual, there a LOT of work having to be done to anaconda, which
> is not easy to debug, and is consuming a lot of Oliver's spare time
> (he does have a real job :-).

Oh yes. I do! :-) That's why I'm very thankful for any help. Jay does
the X stuff that I cannot do since all my alphas are headless.

However. I would really need more people who have (strong) C/C++
knowledge and might be able to fix compilation issues; There are all
kind of 'em :-(

> We're currently running GCC 4.1.2-32 and GLIBC 2.6.90-21, but that
> may change slightly before we're done.

Yes, gcc 4.1.2-34 is currently working on the testsuite and will
probably finish today. However. -35 is already pushed and needs to be
build...

glibc 2.7 is also pushed, but shows a lot of compilation problems :-(
But this is a *must*.

> I'm hoping with the updated compiler toolchain, that once we have
> a beta ready we can get a LOT of help with things we've not been
> able to get to, like OOo and JAVA and such.

Oh yes. Java's currently broken and I haven't figured out yet why. I
guess it's some gcc & eclipse incompatibility....

> That's where YOU folks come into the picture... :-)

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Please. If you have a spare machine and spare time. Install the latest
-devel. Update and try to compile these:
http://buildsys.zero42.at/status/f8/missing.html

If you're able to fix, please report at http://bugzilla.redhat.com
(Product: Fedora, Version: 8, Hardware: alpha) - if can CC: me in the
reports that would be fine.

> I'll let Oliver take it from here...

Thx Jay.

> Jon_norstog wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 17:00 -0500, bob smith wrote:
>>> The message from 6/21, cited below, had kept me very quiet for about 6
>>> months.
>>> I check every once in a bit to see if there is a  release for alpha.
>>> I see the release of F8,
>>> in nov 07, but I don't see a release for alpha.
>>> Is there a status update? has the mail list burped and I missed the
>>> announcement?
>>> last list note I have, other than the usual mailman note, is the
>>> lm-sensers on a ds20 note
>>> of 11/29. So, I think I am geting the feeds.
>>> thanks for any update info!

There isn't a real release yet. But there's some kind of rawhide iso:
http://buildsys.zero42.at/iso/

Jay will provide me with a list of TODOs to get a working system from
the currently broken anaconda; Jay would you please be so kind? I can
then put it on http://buildsys.zero42.at.

>> You are not the only one waiting.  Even more than a new release of
>> fedora, though, I would like to see Open Office for Alpha, or at least
>> the tools so I could build it myself.

Well. If you have AC3 installed you can upgrade to f8, but there are
incompatibilities with glibc/kernel so this is tricky. You might try to
install from the iso and fix the installation (something with initrd in
aboot.conf) afterwards...

So far. Further questions? Don't hesitate...

-of