Alpha Core 4 Cancelled

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Dec 3 02:09:15 UTC 2007

Hi, guys,

Since it's too late (or maybe too early :-) for Oliver to pop up,
I'll just say that it (F-8 for Alpha) is getting pretty close to
having something to beta test.

Oliver's made a test ISO - not a lot on it, but it DOES create a
working system, with a few workarounds during install AND after.
Once installed, there's already a repository of over 7000 RPMS
that are pretty close to what was released for F-8 on other arches.

As usual, there a LOT of work having to be done to anaconda, which
is not easy to debug, and is consuming a lot of Oliver's spare time
(he does have a real job :-).

We're currently running GCC 4.1.2-32 and GLIBC 2.6.90-21, but that
may change slightly before we're done.

I'm hoping with the updated compiler toolchain, that once we have
a beta ready we can get a LOT of help with things we've not been
able to get to, like OOo and JAVA and such.

That's where YOU folks come into the picture... :-)

I'll let Oliver take it from here...

--Jay++

Jon_norstog wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 17:00 -0500, bob smith wrote:
>> The message from 6/21, cited below, had kept me very quiet for about 6
>> months.
>> I check every once in a bit to see if there is a  release for alpha.
>> I see the release of F8,
>> in nov 07, but I don't see a release for alpha.
>> Is there a status update? has the mail list burped and I missed the
>> announcement?
>> last list note I have, other than the usual mailman note, is the
>> lm-sensers on a ds20 note
>> of 11/29. So, I think I am geting the feeds.
>> thanks for any update info!
>> bob
>>

> Bob, & list,
>
> You are not the only one waiting.  Even more than a new release of
> fedora, though, I would like to see Open Office for Alpha, or at least
> the tools so I could build it myself.
>
> Last 5 months I was using FC6 on a 64-bit PC. It works quite well and is
> miles beyond Windows XP-64, such a lead that MS will probably never
> catch up.
>
> But the PC got sick so I'm back to using my XP1000 as my main 'puter.
> An office suite would really be nice.
>
> Later
>
> jn

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO3-3:S/B2      (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com