Alpha Core 3 is available

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu Mar 8 08:31:36 UTC 2007

Am 2007-03-07 22:35, Sergey Tikhonov schrieb:
[ ... ]
>> I have a PC164 w/ an srm console that is currently my main
>> site server (icarus.com). It is currently running a lightly
>> updated version of Red Hat 7.2. Any chance I can safely upgrade
>> this system? So far, I've been of the "it ain't broke" mind
>> and have left it be (I have to write the boot instructions on
>> a label on the case, because it gets rebooted so rarely I forget
>> how.) but eventually the software will get so old as to be
>> unmaintainable.
>>
> My understanding that there is possibility to install AC distro to
> another disk and check how the
> new versions of tools could handle your tasks. I couldn't garantee that
> RH 7.2 would be upgraded
> without any problems. :)

Since rh7.x uses kernel 2.4 and current ac uses 2.6 and much newer glibc
and so on... I would also install it on other discs or on another system
and migrate the stuff...

Also the new httpd 2.x... If you have mod_perl running for example, most
scripts will break. I'm not sure about php stuff, but eventually you'll
also run into problems.

Best,
  Oliver