Alpha Core 3 is available

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Mar 8 15:56:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:35:53AM +0300, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
> >Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> >>                Alpha Core 3 Release Notes
> >>              ==============================
> >
> >I have a PC164 w/ an srm console that is currently my main
> >site server (icarus.com). It is currently running a lightly
> >updated version of Red Hat 7.2. Any chance I can safely upgrade
> >this system? So far, I've been of the "it ain't broke" mind
> >and have left it be (I have to write the boot instructions on
> >a label on the case, because it gets rebooted so rarely I forget
> >how.) but eventually the software will get so old as to be
> >unmaintainable.
> >
> My understanding that there is possibility to install AC distro to
> another disk and check how the
> new versions of tools could handle your tasks. I couldn't garantee that
> RH 7.2 would be upgraded
> without any problems. :)

I agree with Sergey, trying an "update" could be a disaster. If at all
possible, as Oliver says, a fresh install on another disk would be
best.

As for stability, AC-2 has been quite good, and AC-3 seems not far
from it, at least WRT the GCC tool-chain and GLIBC and such. Also, we
(Alpha folk) are finally (!) reaping some benefits from the other
64-bit platforms now available, WRT ability/stability of more code to
work at 64-bits. There are still some weaknesses, IMHO, like
OpenOffice and Java, but most stuff "just works"... :-)

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com