Alpha Core 3 on XP 1000

Balint Cristian cbalint at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 14:54:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 15:35, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> To the list:
>
> I downloaded AC3 last weeek, md5sums OK, etc and burned the disks.  Couldn't
> get them to work on either an xp1000/EV67 or a PWS600. The graphic installer
> hangs at various places ... i changed CD drives on the XP, some improvement.
> Burned a new set of CDs on a better machine, still can't run the install.
>
> The installer hangs especially when it starts the install, but other problems
> rise when you get to the point of choosing install packages.  No list of
> programs or packages comes up.  Etc. Etc.
>
> I got the setup from ftp.alphacore.info, I assume its good, atleast the
> MD5sums are OK.
>
> I know the distro was built on a PWS and it should run like clockwork.  I will
> try a text install toningt and see if things work better ..

  I run into same problems year ago, and changing my default CD-ROM from alpha
to a good/new one fixed the problem.
   Maybe CD-ROM is screwed ?
   Is there Ctl-Alt-F{2,3,4,5,6} wierd message related to cd-retrying or things like that ?

Can try install over nfs/http/ftp ? (in case you have no spare CD unit)

/cristian