Alpha Core 3

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sun Mar 18 07:50:49 UTC 2007

Jay Estabrook schrieb:

>>> Let us know!
>>>
>> So far, no problems for my usual build procedures.
>>

> This (building) is BY FAR my biggest concern about changing ANY of the
> entries returned by "uname -mpi".
>
> There's so much perl and python and sh and whatnot code out there that
> expects certain things for "uname -m", abd possibly both of the
> others, that I'm very fearful of the impact of changes... :-(
>
> I guess it's prolly gonna be "try it and see" time... ;-}

Hm. Jay, that's true, many configures will expect *things*. :-) But
building for  ev67, ev6, ev68 or whatever is out there should be only
done for special packages. I'm thinking of: kernel (that will be the
hardest part, as we will have to provide different .config's; But this
part make much sense and I believe it will change how uname -m comes
up!), glibc (should be no problem to turn on special flags with
--target; Maybe will also influence uname!?), openssl (same as glibc).
Maybe some other package as well, but these are in my head and I know
from x86, that they are build for different sub-arches as well. What I
want to say with that: I don't want to build *everything* for
sub-arches. That doesn't make sense I believe...

However, what uname -m should return, I will ask tomorrow on lkml...
Maybe someone has a *good* hint. :-) I believe it's some .config kernel
voodoo. :-)

-of