Fedora 8-based distro /UP2000+

Jon_norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Tue Apr 15 05:08:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 17:17 -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Hi, Carl,
>
> Sorry about that... :-\
>
> I've a feeling it may have to do with the extra "isomarkboot" that
> gets done to make it bootable on Alpha.
>
> I made sure to md5sum AFTER I did the above; that is what is in the
> MD5SUM.Fedora-etc file that accompanies the ISO.
>
> Probably just something I missed in the ecstasy that is "anaconda"...
>
> ;-} ;-}
>
> --Jay++
>
> Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com> wrote:
> >> Hi, folks,
> >>
> >>  After an almost interminable wait (:-), the most recent
> >>  final release candidate for our own Fedora 8-based distro
> >>  for Alpha is now available at:
> >>
> >>   http://buildsys.zero42.at/iso/Fedora-20080404-alpha-CD.iso
> >  . . .

Jay:

Thanks for the announcement.  Did you work on putting the distro
together?

I burned a CD and did a graphical install on my UP2000+ with 4D10t
(Permedia 2) video card.  The install went down with no hitches, it
installed the SMP kernel in the right place and the boot process was
able to locate the root directory (unlike the 3/14/08 EV6 release).

The Xserver is a little shaky but puts out a clean picture at 640x800
and thousands of colors.  KDE came up as default desktop (I installed
everything on the CD except the Bhutanese and Tibetan fonts) and is
pretty shaky.

I'm sure when I get a little spare time it will be no problem to fix the
small stuff and then work on the apps I need.

Big Kudos, guys

jon