SELINUX etc. (Re: Fedora 8-based distro for Alpha CD Announcement)

Kazuyoshi Furutaka furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Thu Apr 24 12:16:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a few questions on the distro as well as alpha.

1. Is SELINUX functioning on systems running the distro?
   As I remember I was not asked about selinux during
   the installation.
   There's /selinux directory in the machine I installed
   it, but it's empty (and therefore I can't tell whether
   selinux is running because there's no /selinux/enforce
   file).
   system-config-selinux shows that
     System Default Enforcing Mode: Enforcing
     Current Enforcing Mode: (dimed out) Disabled
     System Default Policy Type: targeted
     Relabel on next reboot: (checked)
   "selinux=off" in the /boot/etc/aboot.conf:
     When "selinux=on" it complains during the boot
       that "Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux:  No \
       such device"
     If I modify it to "selinux=1" it doesn't boot.
   Did I make something wrong?

2. Why are the package names with "fc8"?
   As I remember correctly, there're CORE packages for
   Fedora releases <= 6, but from Fedora 7 on no CORE;
   The naming scheme is not limited to this distro for
   alpha, but is the same for i386 as well as x86_64
   even in Fedora 8.

3. How much memory can be installed in 164LX machines?
   I have two 164LX machines, one with 512MB (Debian etch)
   and the other with 384MB (the Fedora-8 based), and I'd
   like to have more memory capacity if possible.

Regards,
Kazuyoshi
--
Kazuyoshi Furutaka