Alpha hardware

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Wed Dec 3 16:56:11 UTC 2008

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Michael Kronsteiner <alphamike at gmx.at>
To: Linux on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:48:55 +0100
Subject: Re: Alpha hardware

> > As I said: I'm not sure if the DEC3000 uses PS/2 memory. I know that
> > the Noname/AXPpci33 and the Multia/UDB use them (72pin FPM w/ true
> > parity). If the DEC3000 uses the same memory, yes, then he can use Indy
> > memory. If not and it's something proprietary (which wouldn't surprise
> > me), he's a bit out of luck.
> >

> so with 128mb in 4 slots im already maxed out? this box is used "from
> time to time" as webserver / small client for icq and alike using netbsd

Michael, & list:

the 3000/300 could take up to 256 meg of RAM.  Some of the 3000's could
accommodate 1G.  I looked for the DEC documentation site oon this model, but
it is gone.  Here is a site with some documentation, in postscript files:

www.phys.ufl.edu/~prescott/linux/alpha/dec3000-docs.html

I learned Unix and GIS on a 3000/600, and think they can be pretty good
machines.  Especially if you run them on a command line.

Good luck

jn