Current ISO images status

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Sat Dec 6 16:00:55 UTC 2008

Hi Jay,

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 10:23 -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> Hi, Steven,
>
> I've a Radeon 7500 (RV200) in my XP1000, and not seen that problem.
> I'm checking again now...
>
> BTW, on that previous problem that ended in a python error in
> urlgrabber: I saw something apparently identical on an ES45 I was
> installing to. I think it might be an instance of failure to
> read an RPM off the CD, and an attempt to grab it off the net, and
> not having the network set up; ie multiple repos set up by default,
> with CD chosen first, then onto the net if failure on CD.
>
> Might be worth a try to clean that CD and try again with it.

I tried to burn the latest CD twice, so it may be my DVD reader's fault
instead. I don't have the XP 1000's standard CD drive, it was replaced
by a Liteon IDE DVD drive (which worked perfectly in F8 alpha).

> Back to the XP1000: just did "b dqa0 -fl 2" from the 20081024 CD,
> and it made it to the "Welcome to alphadora!" screen. I'm assuming
> that yours crapped out before it got there... ??? Just in case, I
> took it as far as the partitioning screen, and then stopped there,
> so I wouldn't overwrite an existing install.

I get the "Welcome to alphadora" with the disk check, it crashes right
after that, when the screen goes blank and anaconda tries to start.

> What kind of Radeon do you have in there? I'd hope it wouldn't
> matter when doing a textmode install, but you never know. Is it
> in one of the top 3 PCI slots? Bottom 2 slots are another PCI bus,
> and current Xservers on Alpha do NOT like it there, though again,
> why should textmode care?

I tried to put the card in the second PCI slot (it was in the last one)
but still the same result. It's a 64MB ATI Radeon 7000 (from Sapphire).
It's detected by anaconda (on the most recent CD) as an RV100 QY chip.

> Sorry, I'm just baffled by that behavior - XP1000 is one of the
> first test platforms I try new spins on...

Thanks for your response. I'll try to swap the DVD drive with another
later and use the latest CD again.

Steven