Secondary architectures and marketing

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Sat Dec 13 18:35:34 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Since a couple of weeks, I was thinking about the Alphadora distribution
and I came up with a bunch of questions and propositions to the main
contributors (Jay and Oliver I think?). So let's go...

1) The secondary architecture question:
Last year, there were some discussions [1][4] about getting the Fedora
Alpha port integrated in the official Fedora build system. What's the
status of this? Is this secondary architecture project dead and buried?
I was talking about Alphadora with people from Fedora's marketing group,
let me show their reactions:

- "My question is why don't they work with Fedora and be an official
secondary arch?"
- "names like mythdora alphadora eeedora really dilute the Fedora name
IMO"

The wiki page [2] seems completely outdated and alphacore.info doesn't
even work anymore (is Mike Barnes gone?), which leads me to the second
proposition.

2) The marketing question:
I'm a member of the Fedora marketing SIG [3] and I want to do something
to promote the Alpha architecture port.
- If it will be integrated as an official secondary architecture, my job
can be easy.
- If for some reason the secondary architecture thing doesn't happen, we
need a plan. (let's see where this discussion goes before making plans).

The bottom line is that currently there is no way anyone can even know
that an alpha port for Fedora exists, wouldn't it be more fun to have
more visibility and users?

I'll shut up for now, let me know what you think.

Steven

[1]:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue90#Fedora_Secondary_Architectures_Proposal
[2]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArchTeam#Alpha