AlphaLinux.org gets a Wiki

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 18:31:30 UTC 2008

Hello Alpha users,

I've been working with Peter Petrakis for the last two to three months
creating a wiki for AlphaLinux.org. It will provide a central location
for Alpha related topics such as Alpha based computers, Alpha/Linux
support, SRM versions, Alpha assembly and optimization, and Alpha
software. The wiki is located at http://www.alphalinux.org/wiki/

There is quite a bit of content to be created. I have written only a
small fraction of what is needed. This is where we need you, the Alpha
enthusiast, to add content and help make the wiki grow.

There are some things that I cannot add to the wiki even with an
immense amount of research. In particular:
    *     Pictures of Alpha hardware: Motherboards, CPUs, RAM, Cases,
Full Systems, and any other Strange parts

    *     Difficult to find SRM versions. I hope to build some sort of
archive to store all available versions of SRM (maybe ARC too?)

    *     Documentation. Do you have a document describing the
internal workings of X piece of hardware?

    *     Assembly programming examples. Examples describing the usage
of various instructions, concepts, or optimization techniques.

    *     Important Alpha related bugs. Particularly nasty bugs you
can't wait to see squashed should be posted on the Bugs to watch page
(http://www.alphalinux.org/wiki/index.php/Bugs_to_watch).

    *     Alpha related programming projects. Alpha specific code
needed for a project? Post it to the TODO page (
http://www.alphalinux.org/wiki/index.php/TODO).

I sincerely hope that the Alpha community finds this resource helpful
and makes good use of it.

On a related note, as many Alpha users know, this is the first time
that AlphaLinux.org has been updated in years. We hope to change this
by adding a forum and migrating the main site to a content management
system. Peter Petrakis would like to use a Ruby based CMS, and I have
no preference. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also,
if you have suggestions of ideas for other ways to improve
AlphaLinux.org I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Matt Turner

PS: my full blog entry about this is here -
http://mattst88.com/blog/?dd=22&mm=07&yyyy=2008