Hardware compat with Fc8

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Jul 25 16:11:48 UTC 2008

John Grzesiak wrote:

> Good information... and while we are close to the subject, I want to
> repeat a
> query I made a while ago, in case it got missed somehow...
>
> Does anyone know of an IDE paddle card that will work with the SRM on
> an AS4100
> ??? I use my 4100 to play with several loaded systems and think that
> somehow it
> would be easier to have my main boot on CF disk mounted on a paddle
> card. I have
> done this with my 164LX, and it works fine, but, the 164LX supports
> IDE (not
> particularly fast which is why I only boot off of it) directly on the
> motherboard, so, SRM needs to support that at least.
>
> I am just wondering is:: Are there any vestiges of the IDE boot code
> in the
> 4100's SRM ??? It would have been nice and expedient to not remove the
> code
> (and subsequently have to debug the changes) from all the SRM based
> machines,
> even if DEC/Compaq was not planning on ever using IDE for anything in
> those
> machines...
>
> I am not adverse to doing the work myself, but, if anyone knows
> definitively, it
> would be nice. A "No, it won't work at all... find another way..."
> works great
> too... I just hate wasting time on fruitless efforts. I have little
> enough time
> to play anymore...
>
> (No more complaints now... I will be quiet on this from here on
> out...)...
>
> I will throw a bit of information in here... The LK-13415 PATA control
> to SATA
> drive adapter has shown some indications that it will work if you
> can't get a
> SATA paddle card to behave. There are some minor glitches in some SATA
> drives
> backwards compatibility support, so, I don't think I would be trying
> to use
> them in any sort of ARRAY, but, having a drive to boot off and have some
> offline storage should be doable. The adapter is about $9 ??? (If I am
> remembering right) on eBay... The company name is:: NSIoutlet.com
We have used SATA to ATA adapters with SRM with no issues n a number of
the Samsung and DEC boards.

--
With our best regards,

//Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771/
/Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772/
/11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com/
/Edmonton, AB, Canada         http://www.harddata.com//
/     T5X 1Y3/
/