Hardware compat with Fc8

John Grzesiak johng at pcrd.net
Fri Jul 25 17:48:02 UTC 2008

That is the best reply I have gotten. I have come to the point where I don't
netboot anymore... (Most of my other lab gear has been virtualized (x86
VMWARE,
Linux XEN, etc), and I don't create physical machines that I don't need
anymore.
Saves more than a few bucks as long as you have reliable VM platform machines.
And I have pruned all my Alphas down to 3 runnable machines.

The one that I like the best is the 4100, despite being a bit power hungry
(Being in New Hampshire, I am sure that you know about electricity here)...

The 4100 is a particular beast. Not quite as finicky as the 2100A, but, still,
it does what it damn well pleases and nothing more at times.

Perhaps another alternative is to use an Emulex LP8000 and load it off
of an EMC
Clariion I have. I think that I could burn the DEC firmware into an
LP8000 with
an x86 PC (I have tons on the x86 firmware LP8000's)... Might work... and I
don't care if I end up trashing one LP8000 to find out... (and it seems that
has at least chance of bearing fruit). And changing boot drives is as
simple as
a card reconfigure or a click or two in the Silkworm.

Thanks for the reply.

--

John Grzesiak
---- P.S.T.N. 603.798.4028 ----