Max. memory on 164LX

Kazuyoshi Furutaka furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Fri May 2 14:44:20 UTC 2008

Hi all,

From: Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com>
Subject: Re: Max. memory on 164LX (Re: SELINUX etc.)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:22:57 -0400

> As with all mobo docs, they aren't often updated beyond a certain
> point, and what appears in them (as limits) may be only what's
> readily available AND tested at that time.
>
> I've been running an LX with 1GB happily for years, and I've seen
> reports of many many others as well. The problem early on was
> that most of the DIMMs were tall (chips in 2x9 rows on both sides)
> and many enclosures were not deep enough. Not the "case" (pun
> intended) any longer... :-)

Well, unfortunately, no luck to me.

I got four cheap 256MB DIMMs in a auction, and installed
them.  At the first glance it seems to work fine but,
strange enough, `ls` started to complain that some
files could not be seen.  After a reboot, the file-
system was corrupted and I had to run fsck manually,
but couldn't completely recover errors.  So I decided
to re-install the distro, but I couldn't even install
it; the installer stopped after language/keyboard
selection.  Sigh.

The DIMMs are second-hand ones and they may be broken,
although the seller said they checked that the DIMMs
worked fine.  Anyway, the issues should be related
to the DIMMs in some ways, because by re-installing
old (four 128MB) DIMMs I could again install the
distro...

> And yes, ECC is fine, but I think "registered" is not... ???

Ah, the new ones are MT18LSDT3272G-133B1, which are
registered ECC...  This may be the reason...

Yours,
Kazuyoshi
--
Kazuyoshi Furutaka