Fedora 8-based distro for Alpha CD Announcement

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sat May 3 07:55:39 UTC 2008

Kazuyoshi Furutaka schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> From: Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at>
> Subject: Re: Fedora 8-based distro for Alpha CD Announcement
> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:34:49 +0200
>
>> May I ask you to install smolt (yum install smolt) and afterwards run
>> smoltSendProfile?
>>
>> I'd really be happy to see alpha above ia64 on this page:
>> http://www.smolts.org/static/stats/stats.html
>
> I guess you're happy now, Oliver ;->

Oh yes; For now. :-) I'm targeting sparc64 now :-)

> But the availability of F9 beta for ia64 has just been
> announced, as a second architecture...

Oh well. That's right.

> What's the status of Fedora/Alpha?  How can we push it
> to a Secondary Architecture?

Well. There are some things that need to be fixed. A bit outdated:
http://wiki.linux-kernel.at/index.php/AlphaCore

However. We are not too far away from the upstream f8. But we're really
far away of f9 at the moment. Biggest problems: gcc, glibc. As long as
these things are not fixed: No sec arch. :-(

Best,
  Oliver