searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)

Michael Kronsteiner alphamike at gmx.at
Tue Nov 11 15:03:45 UTC 2008

Hello :)

I have an intel- boxed cooler at hand (including fan, the round one) might this be big enough to fit your cooling needs?

best regards

Michael
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:35:13 +0100
> Von: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer at sbg.ac.at>
> An: Linux on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
> Betreff: Re: searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)

> Hoover, Tony wrote:
> > Interesting.  All my LX's and SX (and even my EB64+, back in the day)
> > all had 3 wire fans.  I thought it was required.  IIRC, You could use a
> > PC fan, but you have to switch the power and tach lines (I think, check
> > pin-outs before taking my word on that).  I remember that I did re-wire
> > a PC fan for one of my alphas.
> >

> > I guess if you have something to generate psuedo-tach pulses, you could
> > passively cool an alpha (with a large enough heat-sink).  I'll  be
> > interested in hearing the outcome.
> >
> > If you know a machinist, you could have him build a heat sink for you
> > out of a block of aluminum.  Remember, surface area is the key, so use a
> > small mill to make lots of fins.
> >

> > Good luck

> > On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 17:59 -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Tony,
> >>
> >> He's looking to do this to an LX164, and mine only has a 2-wire fan,
> >> so I think it may be OK?
> >>
> >> --Jay++

> the

> hi tony,
>
> i have a 3 wires too.
> re-wiring a pc fan is not possible to my knowledge, because the signal
> is completely different.
> a pc wants to have pulses (as you said) so that they can measure the
> rotating speed of the fan.
> the original fan of my alpha (some strange panaflo) gives a certain
> voltage on one wire if the fan is turning. when you stop the fan, the
> voltage goes up and the alpha stops. when you remove the fan, the
> voltage is missing and the alpha does not run either.
>
> my "alpha fan simulator" does just provide the required voltage, that's
> all.
>
> building a heatsink from scratch is of course possible, but that's not
> the way i want to go, if i find somebody who has a BIG BIG heatsink for
> me.
>
> --
> regards
> alex

GMX Download-Spiele: Preizsturz! Alle Puzzle-Spiele Deluxe über 60% billiger.
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/download/puzzle/index.html