searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at sbg.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 15:07:16 UTC 2008

Michael Kronsteiner wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I have an intel- boxed cooler at hand (including fan, the round one) might this be big enough to fit your cooling needs?
>
> best regards
>
> Michael
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> Datum: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:35:13 +0100
>> Von: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer at sbg.ac.at>
>> An: Linux on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
>> Betreff: Re: searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)
>>

>> Hoover, Tony wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting.  All my LX's and SX (and even my EB64+, back in the day)
>>> all had 3 wire fans.  I thought it was required.  IIRC, You could use a
>>> PC fan, but you have to switch the power and tach lines (I think, check
>>> pin-outs before taking my word on that).  I remember that I did re-wire
>>> a PC fan for one of my alphas.
>>>

>>> I guess if you have something to generate psuedo-tach pulses, you could
>>> passively cool an alpha (with a large enough heat-sink).  I'll  be
>>> interested in hearing the outcome.
>>>
>>> If you know a machinist, you could have him build a heat sink for you
>>> out of a block of aluminum.  Remember, surface area is the key, so use a
>>> small mill to make lots of fins.
>>>

>>> Good luck

>> the

>> hi tony,
>>
>> i have a 3 wires too.
>> re-wiring a pc fan is not possible to my knowledge, because the signal
>> is completely different.
>> a pc wants to have pulses (as you said) so that they can measure the
>> rotating speed of the fan.
>> the original fan of my alpha (some strange panaflo) gives a certain
>> voltage on one wire if the fan is turning. when you stop the fan, the
>> voltage goes up and the alpha stops. when you remove the fan, the
>> voltage is missing and the alpha does not run either.
>>
>> my "alpha fan simulator" does just provide the required voltage, that's
>> all.
>>
>> building a heatsink from scratch is of course possible, but that's not
>> the way i want to go, if i find somebody who has a BIG BIG heatsink for
>> me.
>>
>> --
>> regards
>> alex

thanks for your reply, michael.
i have such coolers too.
since there are two screws sticking out of the cpu die, it would be
necessary to mill down two times in the heatsink and then drill 2 holes.
since the fins are very thin, they would become heavily damaged during
that process.
i know that, because i already tried that ;(
unfortunately this is not an option, unless you have a 21164 600mhz cpu
for me without the screws.

--
regards
alex