searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)

Marc Schlensog mschlens at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 18:31:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:42:03 +0100
"Michael Kronsteiner" <alphamike at gmx.at> wrote:

> hy :)
>
> Ok then ill take one off of a cpu-board for alphaserver 2000 - one of
> my two is screw-mounted iirc, but im quite sure you will have to make
> it at least a little smaller. the as2000 is dead for ages anyway....
> i will send you pics (direct) with something to get a clue of the
> size (and the distance of the holes).... arent there screwed coolers
> on dec3000/300 too? i have a spare cpu-module for that box too....

With the exception of the last two series of EV68 and - I could guess -
the EV7x, all Alphas had their heat sinks bolted on. They never produced
EV5x without the bolts, so you're out of luck using a stock heat sink
too.
I could imagine that the AS2000 heat sink is way too small for
Alexander's liking.
Other than that I think Alan's approach is more sensible.
I could also imagine that an ES40/ES45 heat sink is a bit too heavy for
the EV5x bolts.