How to upload compiled packages?

Will L Givens diskman at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 18:35:37 UTC 2008

I know EV6 can run EV5 binaries (backward compatibility) but EV5's cannot
run EV6 binaries. That is why everyone simply builds EV5 packages, it will
run on the majority of Alphas. EV6 having functions the EV5/PCA56 cannot
remotely emulate I just gave the 'out our sequence' function as one of the
differences. The same thing applies even more so for binaries compiled with
Compaq C (linked to libots).

I tried EV6/67 binaries on my AlphaPC 164SX (PCA56), they do not run...
There is NO emulation in the SRM that I'm aware of, to make older cpus
compatible with newer cpu instructions... Compaq seldom thought that far
ahead.

As for MVI, I know of only one program that uses MVI, that's ffmpeg (thus
Mplayer). So compiling PCA56 binaries for an EV6 should work fine. Never
really tested it though. Sincerely, Will L G