How to upload compiled packages?

Marc Schlensog mschlens at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 18:45:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:35:37 -0600
"Will L Givens" <diskman at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I know EV6 can run EV5 binaries (backward compatibility) but EV5's
> cannot run EV6 binaries. That is why everyone simply builds EV5
> packages, it will run on the majority of Alphas. EV6 having functions
> the EV5/PCA56 cannot remotely emulate I just gave the 'out our
> sequence' function as one of the differences. The same thing applies
> even more so for binaries compiled with Compaq C (linked to libots).
>
> I tried EV6/67 binaries on my AlphaPC 164SX (PCA56), they do not
> run... There is NO emulation in the SRM that I'm aware of, to make
> older cpus compatible with newer cpu instructions... Compaq seldom
> thought that far ahead.
>
> As for MVI, I know of only one program that uses MVI, that's ffmpeg
> (thus Mplayer). So compiling PCA56 binaries for an EV6 should work
> fine. Never really tested it though. Sincerely, Will L G

I haven't compiled for Linux/axp in ages, but I do remember that the
Compaq compilers on Tru64 (and Linux, I guess) had a compiler flag,
that optimized the binary for a certain architecture (PCA56, EV6,
whatever) but left the binary backward compatible (and another compile
option where the binary wouldn't run on anything below the specified
architecture ;-)).

I don't think the user base of Fedora/axp (or any Linux/axp) justifies
for a dedicated EV6/EV67 spin, does it? ;)