How to upload compiled packages?

Will L Givens diskman at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 19:51:02 UTC 2008

Marc Schlensog : start
I haven't compiled for Linux/axp in ages, but I do remember that the
Compaq compilers on Tru64 (and Linux, I guess) had a compiler flag,
that optimized the binary for a certain architecture (PCA56, EV6,
whatever) but left the binary backward compatible (and another compile
option where the binary wouldn't run on anything below the specified
architecture ;-)).

I don't think the user base of Fedora/axp (or any Linux/axp) justifies
for a dedicated EV6/EV67 spin, does it? ;)

Marc Schlensog : end

That's entirely right. CFLAGS such as -mtune=ev56 -mcpu=ev56. A EV5 binary
will
run on just about everything under the sun. You can set the flags to
-mtune=ev4
or some such but they binaries would run so slow across the board, it's not
even funny.

>From what I remember the EV6/67/68/7 run EV5  binaries in emulation or at
least part of it so it generally pays to compile them for those particular
systems in order to remove the overhead that emulation generates.

If I get my alpha back up and running, and back all my 'old stuff up'
I wouldn't mind building binaries for either. If there was a build script
involved, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The only think I could never
build a 'working version' of was GLIBC. Something I want to try to get
working
so that I can test out 'prelink-1.0' (the best working version for the
Alpha). prelink-1.0 worked fine with everything but libGL.so, ld.so and
bash.
Will L G

PS, we could possibly even release some Compaq C binaries considering it's
not supported or anything now. From the looks of things, its 'persona non
grata'
at Compaq so I don't licensing will be an issue. I can email them and check.