Trying to gauge usage of a possible AlphaLinux.org Forum

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Jan 14 00:43:17 UTC 2009

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> I will not use a web-forum, ever.  I won't stop you setting one up,
> but I will not read it, and certainly not post anything there.  I just
> cannot stand the cumbersome, featureless interfaces of those things.
>
> Mailing lists are perfectly adequate, nicely complemented by the more
> direct, informal medium of IRC.

I have been a participant of this list since July, 1996.

No spam, no fuss.
And, when I need to look something up, I can easily check the history of
postings on it ..

For example, since I joined, Jay's first posting, which I still have here:
Date: 7/11/1996 3:20 PM
Subject: XEmacs 19.14 for Linux/Alpha

I've built a binary distribution of the latest XEmacs (19.14) for
Linux/Alpha, and made it available at gatekeeper.dec.com as:

   pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/X11/xemacs-19.14-alpha-unknown-linux2.0.0.tgz

This was built on an EB164 running Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 and kernel 2.0.0.

Note that this archive has *only* the executable binaries; look for the
"common" archive for XEmacs 19.14 at www.xemacs.org, its home site.

The patches necessary were *very* small and *very* trivial; I'll try to
make
them available as well.

Let me know of any problems...

--Jay++

 American Non Sequitur Society: we don't make sense, but we do like
pizza...

Jay A Estabrook                         Alpha Migration Tools
Mailstop: TAY1-2                        (DTN) 227-4202
Digital Equipment Corp.                 (external) (508) 952-4202
151 Taylor Street                       enet: jestabro at amt.tay1.dec.com
Littleton, MA 01460-1407                decnet: tallis::jestabro

Does that take you back a bit, Jay?

;-)

Frankly, all I see in this discussion is a few "Red Hat haters" and a
few Debian fanatics, trying to stir it up.

--
With our best regards,

//Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771/
/Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772/
/11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com/
/Edmonton, AB, Canada/
/     T5X 1Y3/
/