Secondary architectures and marketing

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Jan 14 08:15:15 UTC 2009

Matt Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at> wrote:
[ ... ]
> After working on the problem, Jay independently came to the exact
> solution Gentoo arrived at before. This, by definition, is duplication
> of effort.

Yes. That's duplication of effort. And as Jay said. Why did that happen?
Because of the lack of communication. See my other mail. A common axp
patches store would help a lot in this case.

Yes, a common distribution might also help. But again, some of us want
to stick with there preferred distribution. I don't have anything
against Debian, Gentoo and all the others. As long as people don't use
commercial distributions, I'm happy.

However. I'm used to run RH since a long time. I'm one of the first
Fedora contributors. And the reasons I want to stick with my distribution:
* I'm used to my tools (rpm, yum, koji, ...)
* I'm administrating ~ 12 private RH/Fedora servers
* I'm used to manage > 100 RH servers in my previous company
* I'm managing people who administrate RH servers in my current company

Matt. You ask me to use another distribution. Why don't you use another
distribution?

>>> You, Oliver, and Jay are two of the best developers we have, and it
>>> seems to me to be such a waste of your time and effort to worry about
>>> hunting down a build error and generating RPMs.
>> Thx a lot for the flowers :-)
>>
>> Well, hunting down build errors is what we *have to do*. If we wouldn't do
>> that, we wouldn't have recent gcc, glibc, xulrunner, firefox, kernel, ...
>> And that we produce RPMs, well, we're packaging for Fedora. :-)
>>

> Hunting down build errors is what you *have to do* to bring Fedora up
> the the current level of Gentoo. It's not as general a statement as
> you make it. Maybe _Fedora_ wouldn't have recent gcc, glibc,
> xulrunner, firefox, kernel, ... but these packages already exist in a
> working state elsewhere.

I don't know nothing about the current state of Gentoo/Alpha, I must
say... I think it's great another distribution also has Alpha support.

Where can I find Gentoo AXP patches by the way?

>>> It's a hard question Oliver, but don't you feel that it might be better
>>> for the architecture to join up efforts on one distribution?
>> Sure. Fedora :-P
>
> I don't know if you intentionally dodge these questions or what.

See my above comment.

> Given the previous examples, I rhetorically ask wouldn't it be
> beneficial to work on a sole distribution, thereby preventing this
> wasteful duplication of effort.
>
> Surely you understood all this initially though.

[ ... ]

Matt. We all want *our* distribution to be *the one*. This will never
happen on x86. It might happen on Alpha, but not today and not in near
future.

Join efforts is a good idea though!

-of