Secondary architectures and marketing

Marc Schlensog mschlens at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 09:22:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:15:15 +0100
Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at> wrote:

[...]
> Matt. We all want *our* distribution to be *the one*. This will never
> happen on x86. It might happen on Alpha, but not today and not in
> near future.
>
> Join efforts is a good idea though!

Joint efforts is a great thing, especially when the resources are as
sparse as they are for Linux/axp. Forcing the move to *one*
distribution is wrong, though. There are quite a few reasons, why
people use one or the other distribution (having given Gentoo a try,
I'm not all too convinced, that it's "my" distribution, so...). It's
called Freedom of Choice and it's one of the main principles Linux (or
FOSS itself) was founded on.
The basic problem, as mentioned already by various people, is a lack of
inter-distro communication. That should be the big issue we should
concentrate on.
What options do we have? Some people like forums, some people like
mailing lists. Are there any sane gateways between those two out there?
Matt did a great job getting alphalinux.org back in shape and I think
that should be the main starting point for our efforts.

b.r,

Marc