Minifridge

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Sun Aug 22 19:08:37 UTC 2010

heviarti at puresimplicity.net wrote:
>   I'm not sure copying a hash from a Linux box into a DEC UNIX box would entirely work, even if I could lay hands on media.

To echo what Matt said, are you sure you know what OS is booting?

When you do show boot* at the console, do you see something like:

  A) bootdef_dev dka0
     boot_osflags A         or boot_osflags  with nothing after it

  B) bootdef_dev dka0
     boot_osflags 0

  C) bootdef_dev dka0
     boot_file 3/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-4
     boot_osflags root=/dev/sda3

If it's A, then it looks like you might have a OSF1/Tru64 system.

If it's B, then it looks like you might have a OpenVMS system.

If it's C, then it looks like you might have a Linux system.

If you are having trouble capturing boot messages, you should be able to
do a "set console serial" and connect a serial cable and reboot to
capture some of the messages echoed to that port as the system boots.

To reset a password on Tru64, do a google search on "tru64 recover
password".  The first hits should be to HP's ITRC forum with some
procedures to do so.

If it's OpenVMS, do a similar search to get some hits in the ITRC forum.

If it's Linux, what was provided earlier in the thread should work.

If you're still having problems, see if you can boot a linux live cd and
look at the drives.  That presumes the kernel that is on the CD can read
the partition format and the file system(s) in those partitions.    If
anything, you could fdisk and parted prints to see what appears to be on
the disk and use dd to dump some of the sectors.

Alan