Minifridge

Stephen Lewis lewis+axp at decsystem.org
Sun Aug 22 19:39:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:47:00 -0600
<heviarti at puresimplicity.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure copying a hash from a Linux box into a DEC UNIX box would entirely work, even if I could lay hands on media.

Years ago I bought a used Alpha which turned out to have Tru64 with a password which
I did not know. If I remember correctly, I booted the HP Redhat 7.2 CD
into "rescue" mode which mounts everything it finds,
zapped the root password, i.e *delete* the hash that is between ":"s altogether
then booted Tru64. I also had to set the date way back to get the licenses
to activate. I guess any live CD would do and you only have to boot the
CD once...
--
Stephen Lewis <lewis+axp at decsystem.org>