lots of questions

Owen Mann owen-javanet at rcn.com
Tue Aug 24 01:12:31 UTC 2010

First off, I'd like to say I'm glad this list maintains body temperature, especially Jay E. and Matt T (oh, and hi to Maciej; got
glibc finished for VAX yet? :-).

Jay: Do you have a super-double-secret email address or something? I tried mailing you, but it always bounces.
Anyway, thank you for all the help you've given the Alpha community through the years.
Quick question: I'm the proud owner of about 14 Multias, and I've been fooling around with SRM and it's interesting 'features" on the Multia.
To echo the "Enhanced Sardine-Free SRM Howto" (heviarti, you wrote that?), given Alpha's status, do you think HP would ever consider opening
the SRM and/or PALcode source? Do you think bribery would help? :-)

Matt: I sent you an email about Alpha netboot brokenness and my hack of a fix about a week ago; did you get it?

Anybody: I'm currently working on my Multia's and PC164's.
1) I really wanted to run a Multia or two from a CF card, so I bought a couple different SCSI-IDE adapters and an IDE-CF adapter.
The SCSI-IDE adapter works great with a real IDE drive, but with the CF adapter, it sees the card but throws out piles of various
errors, then gives up. Any ideas?
2) According to the aforementioned Howto,
"5.6-3  This is the latest version of SRM available" for the PC164. I've looked through several firmware CD ISOs and I can only find 5.5-1.
Was this offered and withdrawn, or beta, or what? Does it do anything cool? :-)
I have lots more questions, but I'll try to keep the firehose to a trickle.
Thanks all!

-Owen (huge Digital fan. I have 19 Alphas, 7 VAXen, and even a PDP 11/05, and I live three blocks from the Mill.)