Spreadsheet application for CentOS 4.3

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 15:36:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Clay Carley <cbc at corp.sonic.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a Digital Personal Workstation 433, running CentOS 4.3.  I love
> the system, however I need at least a spreadsheet application, if not an
> entire office suite.
>
> OpenOffice.org is pretty much failing to compile.  Either it reports code
> errors, or occasionally it has issues writing to disc (seems to be a
> software issue, as I exer'd my drives, and they are fine).
>
> KOffice does not compile either, and I haven't been able to find an old
> version of Star Office.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm also open to running a different OS,
> although I am partial to RedHat based systems.
>
> Thanks,
> Clay Carley

Just checked. We're apparently still supporting Gnumeric [1] in Gentoo.

Gentoo is going to have the most up-to-date software for alpha in any
case, but it's probably going to be less fun installing. Raul Porcel
runs a tinderbox to check for potential problems and it caches the
built packages here [2] so you could probably speed up the
installation a lot by telling Portage to use these binary packages.

We're in #alpha and #gentoo-alpha on irc.freenode.net and would love
to have you there too (and would be glad to help).

Thanks,
Matt

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/
[2] http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/alpha/