Red Hat 7.2 media for Alpha?

Bryan Smith me at bjsmith.me
Fri Feb 18 02:43:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 6:06 PM Ben Huntsman <ben at huntsmans.net> wrote:

> Hi guys-
>    I know this list has been silent for some time, but hopefully there are
> still some people subscribed.
>    I'm trying to locate the media for Red Hat 7.2 for Alpha, but the old
> Compaq site that distributed it is gone and I can't find any mirrors.  In
> particular, I'm hoping to install on this on my old AlphaServer ES47, and I
> understand there was a "wrapper" image that you had to boot to get the
> install kicked off on that platform.  Might anyone still have any of that
> stuff archived or mirrored some place?
> Thanks in advance!

Yeah, the official Red Hat archive [1] only has i386 (IA-32), IA-64 and
s/390 architectures for Red Hat Linux 7.2.

I assume the build was provided by Digital only, although at least it was
official [2], unlike the MIPS ports from Cobalt (later Sun).

I've reached out to Maddog if he knows of one, in case he's not subscribed
to this old list.

- bjs

[1] http://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/

[2] https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/press-compaqalpha