Splitting audio tracks

Jos Lemmens jos at jlemmens.nl
Fri Dec 24 10:13:10 UTC 2004

Hi Cheryl,

I've written a litle tool myself. It's called cdrsplit and you can
find it here:

   http://www.euronet.nl/~acj/cdrsplit-1.3.bin.tar.gz

First you make a .cdr file of your audiotrack by using sox:

   sox audio.wav audio.cdr

Then with cdrsplit you can start the file at a certain point:

   cdrsplit audio.cdr -s 5.78

If you're sattisfied, you give the same command and add a filename
to which the second part will go:

   cdrsplit audio.cdr -s 7.3 audio_2.cdr

audio.cdr contains the the first 7.3 seconds of the original and
audio_2.cdr the remaining.

The -s option gives the startpoint from the biginning of the file,
but you can also use the -e option to start from the end.
The -t option prints the length of the file:

   cdrsplit -t audio.cdr

Now you can convert the two files into .mp3, .ogg, .wav using sox.
With sox you can add effects to the files like:

   avg band bandpass bandreject chorus compand copy dcshift deemph
   earwax echo echos fade filter flanger highp highpass lowp lowpass
   map mask pan phaser pitch polyphase rate resample reverb reverse
   silence speed stat stretch swap synth trim vibro vol

    Regards,

       Jos.