What's a braille display that _works_?

Tom Masterson kd7cyu at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 02:43:55 UTC 2004

Hi John

I am answering off list for this one.  The braille star 40 is about $6,000
U.S. and is handled in the U.S. by Humanware and their dealers.  It is
primarily a display though it has some capacity as a standalone unit.  It
comes if I remember correctly with a qwerty keyboard that can be attached
for use in it's editor and other built in things.  I have used one for a
couple of weeks on a trial basis and liked it quite a lot and would
definitely think about it if my alvas fail.  However I did buy an elba as an
alternate becuase it has more functionality and more versatility although it
is not as nice when just used as a display.  It really depends on the
primary purpose you want to use it for.  I have not tried the elba on linux
yet as a display but I know it has some issues (in the 20 cell model) with
jaws.

Tom