is this normal?

Stephen Clower steve at steve-audio.net
Mon May 17 12:49:54 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,
  Last night I decided to run Swaret on my Slackware machine to upgrade all of the currently installed packages to their current stable releases. When finished, I noticed that the ALSA packages wer updated to 1.0.4, which at first was perfectly fine with me. However, all of my ALSA support seems to have gone as quickly as it took for the new packages to be installed. Even looking at the /usr/share/doc/alsa-driver-1.0.4/doc/SOUNDCARDS file baffled me, because my sound card is no longer listed! I can still use the OSS/Free drivers, but since Kernel 2.6 and higher will be using ALSA, I'm not at all sure support for my sound chip will be continued. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, is there a way to downgrade just the ALSA packages so I can utilize the advantages of that architecture? Before upgrading, I was using Alsa-0.9.6 on Slackware 9.1.

Stephen Clower, that guy from the south.
You can reach me by any of the following:
E-Mail: steve at steve-audio.net
MSN: steve at steve-audio.net
AIM: AudioRabbit03

You can also check out my little home on the web by visiting http://www.steve-audio.net