software speech under linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Nov 8 16:39:52 UTC 2004

Hello, Kristoffer:

Several things to consider:

1.)	Use rpm to manage rpm, or one of the wrapper programs that
assists you in using rpm. My current favorite is yum, and it is provided
for you with Fedora Core.

2.)	Not all of the software TTS engines will work with all of the
screen readers and/or Emacspeak. You must carefully consider what
drivers are available for each audio interface application. In other
words, go at this from the other direction. Consider what software
speech Emacspeak supports, what software speech Yasr supports, and what
software speech Speakup supports, then work on getting those configured
and functioning. You also have one other option for speech in Emacs
called Speech-Dispatcher with Speechd-el. In addition to the Emacspeak
and Yasr pages, which you seem to have already found, you should also
look at:

	http://www.linux-speakup.org
	http://www.brailcom.org

3.)	It is not easy to build flite correctly, but there are rpm
packages. I'm sorry, but I don't have the address for them. Try using
Google with a search string something like "flite rpm"

Good luck.