Device for parallel port zip drive?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue Nov 30 19:14:39 UTC 2004

> I'm trying to use an old parallel port Zip drive on Fedora 2. I
> downloaded the IOmegaware file for Linux from iOmega

I'm not sure what the IOmegaware file has to do with anything.
According to the ZIP-drive HOW-TO, it's just a matter of loading
standard modules in the right order (namely, before the
parallel-port module gets loaded)

You can read more at
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/ZIP-Drive-4.html#ss4.1

My understanding from the docs is that if you have the ZIP drive
attached at boot time, and your modules probe the "ppa" module
before the "lp" module, you should have a "sda0" device which you
can mount like any other drive.  Granted, the drive may not be
"a" if you have other SCSI devices on your system

> My previous computer had a builtin Zip drive that worked fine, and my
> home machine has an external SCSI zip drive that worked fine on FC2.

I think the internal varieties (last I checked...I stripped my
internal out of the machine in which I had one) show up as a
standard IDE drive, and thus as simply /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or
/dev/hdd depending on where it landed in your IDE chain (I've
even booted with it as the master device on the primary IDE,
making it /dev/hda).

It should then have a fairly standard partition table, which you
can view with fdisk, which should allow you to mount particular
partitions, or even repartition it as you desire.

While you can't boot off a parallel-port ZIP drive, you can boot
from a floppy (or CD if you want) which will load the
parallel-port ZIP module, and then proceed to boot from that.

If all goes properly, you should have a device which exposes
itself as either an IDE drive (/dev/hdXY) or SCSI drive
(/dev/sdXY) which you can then mount with the usual "mount"
command like

	bash> mount /dev/sda0 /mnt/zip

It should autodetect the type of filesystem (usually VFAT), but
you can bung with that and change it to your favorite if you
like, using fdisk/cfdisk and your favorite flavor of mkfs
assuming you don't need to use the disk in Dos/Win32 systems.

HTH,

-tim