Creating Swap Areas

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Oct 5 16:33:50 UTC 2004

You can probably get away without a swap partition.  My systems have 512
meg of ram.  32 meg of ram is used by the on board video card.
The one running the most programs will start using swap
after it's been up for a few days.  It never seems to use more than 100K
or so, so I could probably remove the swap space.  That system runs my
girl friends gnome session, the mail server, web server, and at least
one ssh session.
Swap in Linux is usually doen as a separate partition, but you can also
create swap as a file.  I don't know the details of doing swap as a
file.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny