Creating Swap Areas

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Tue Oct 5 20:06:30 UTC 2004

Hi John,

quick and short: don't run Unix or Linux system for that matter without
a swap partition. Yes you can do it with a file but it's not efficient.
You are going to have extreme problems if the system runs out of swap or
if there is none when you load a lot of applications or services in
your system.

General rules are to use swap big as 2 to 5 times RAM. In your case with
512MB of memory I would suggest between 512MB and 1GB. Since you most
likely won't use graphics on your system, 512MB should be enough. I have
1GB of swap, 1GB of RM on 2CPU Pentium system at work and KDE with 10
virtual screens on desktop which is just about right.

Swap is more efficient if you put it on another disk drive. Old drives
are fine since you don't need to worry about data on them.

--
Rafael