missing shared libraries

Karl Dahlke eklhad at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 18:12:44 UTC 2004

It is of course optimal to download the source and compile it.
I always make source available.
But I also made the executable available (maybe this is wise and maybe not).
One problem with trying to run the executable straight out is the ever
changing versions of the dynamically linked libraries.
Odds are pretty good that if you make a symbolic link
from what you have to what you need,
you'll be ok, but you didn't hear that from me.
I'll deny having ever given such bad advice.
But I've done it, even on the job, and gotten away with it.
So, in the case of libssl, you can go to /lib and look for libssl*,
and link the latest one in that directory to libssl.so.2,
or,
download the source and compile it all on your machine.

I know, if I'm going to offer a binary to the world I should probably do a static link,
I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Karl