Sound Blaster MP3+

Terry Klarich terry at klarich.net
Thu Aug 18 19:58:01 UTC 2005

Hello all:

Just wanted to let every one know that Office Depot has the Sound Blaster mp3+
on clearance.  They are asking $29 or so.  This is an external USB sound card.
It's supported by alsa.

A couple of years ago, I decided I'd like to put all my CD's on a linux file
system.  I could then build my own iriver  or archos system.  After doing some
of the preliminary work, I discovered that the noise level of my built-in sound
card was too high for comfortable listening.  Also, recording was worse than
terrible.

A good friend  Ken Lee (HEY Ken) told me that he was using a usb sound card.
This got me to thinking.
In my mind, this would remove the sound processing away from all that nasty RF.
So, we'll see.

I got my mp3+ last night; so, haven't had much time to mess with it.  I've
just played some test files.  So far, so good.

This unit also has optical audio in and out.  So, when I hook it up to my adcom
pre-amp, it will be digital all the way.  I have high hopes that recording will
be much better.  (We'll see).

Terry