about brltty and USB alva satellite again

Talksina talksina at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:52:50 UTC 2005

Hi,
these are the options I put into the ./configure while compiling brltty-3.6.2.
./configure --with-braille-device=al --with-braille-driver=al
--with-text-table=de
make
then I stopped because I had to go to work...
but running ./brltty from the brltty-3.6.2 directory,  made no change: USB
display stayed silent. Is the "al" driver sufficient to use USB, or should
I recompile the kernel with some more parameter? All USB peripherals I
have, work now on 2.6.9. On the latest .11 I do not manage to run my
speedtouch modem yet, but now it's the last problem :)
I wanted just to run the new BRLTTY, and test it before permanently
deleting the one working with vario 40 on serial port. That's why I ran
./brltty from there
I tried by root, of cours I did not know if it gives errors because I had
no sighted people near me.
My alva satellite series is the small one, with no USB hub in it, that can
be used by electricity or by the USB port, and that has 40 cells. I do not
remember the name if it's traveller or something like that, I know with
jaws it works with "alva satellite series" driver, as my working place's
display that is alva 544 satellite, with the USB hub in it.
I read on docs that alva satellite 5nn supported so I suppose it's included!
This is a big problem for me, I _must_ change BRLTTY version to use alva
with USB, I do not want to use it on serial port because my notebook's
serial is dying soon! And because it's more comfortable as I am not
dependent on electricity for the display I just need to have the notebook's
electricity cable.
Gimme some suggestions if you have, thanks! Especially BRLTTY's author
I am quite unexperienced on this :-( it's the first time that I must change
a program from the pre-compiled debian ones, to a source one.
And this starts at boot.
thanks

--
Talksina, saved by a bell!