VoIP with Linux?

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Tue Mar 15 08:10:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
 > Yes, thats right. I decided, to use asterisk, it seems that this is
 > exactly what I need. I tryed linphone before, but without success
 > because the programm had problems with my firewall setup. The
 > configuration of asterisk is really a big torture, I'm searching arround
 > the internet and through the docu since friday :-(. Now I subscribed to
 > the asterisk-users mailinglist, but if anybody here can give my some
 > hints how to get asterisk to work just for ip telephony (getting calls
 > from the internet to my pc behind a nat firewall and vice versa), I
 > would be verry happy!
first of all, NAT-triversal depends greatly on which VoIP protocol you are
using.
Astiersk' native IAX2 does veryw ell in this case, SIP will probably work
too.

It also depends on the otehr site (the VoIP provider).

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk general docs
http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm some general notes and
config-stuff for www.freeworlddialup.com

Don't be too overwelmed as Asterisk can do too much for what you need :)
look at exten.conf and trhough everything out you don't need.

only thing you need is probably a line saying dial,console (and the
appropriate alsao ro oss config)
and lines to dialout to yoru VoIP-provider (and vociemail if you are
feeling up to it :) ).

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)