Recording Streaming Audio?

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Mon Feb 13 09:17:21 UTC 2006

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson wrote:

> I use mplayer. When I want to record a stream, I issue the command
>
> mplayer -playlist <urlfile> -ao pcm:file=<outputfile>.wav -vc dummy -vo null

This will record to uncompressed wav format, ok if you have the space.

As Tony says, wget should work for any HTTP streams (ogg, mp3, aac).

I've used mplayer to rip WMA streams in its native format.  It's awhile
since I did it, but it was something like this:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile <outputfilename> <url>

Note that the filename "stream.dump" will be used if the -dumpfile option
is not given.

I've used this with WMA streams, no idea what else it does and doesn't work
with. Also I've noticed problems seeking around the resulting file, but if
you set it playing and leave it, it works just fine.

BTW: Why use "-vc dummy" instead of "-vc null"?  Just curious.

Geoff.