Advice for blind Linux newbie

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Jul 6 16:52:23 UTC 2006

Hello>:

I have a couple observations -- some of which
won't be popular on a Linux list.  First, it is a
bit tricky to install ZoomText and JAWS on the
same computer.  Secondly, it is an even worse
idea to run both at the same time.

I suspect you are right that only using each half
way is causing your friend problems.  Whether
visually impaired or totally blind, a person will
ultimately benefit from learning how to do things
in Windows, or another OS, with keystrokes.  It
can help to have an idea of what the screen looks
like, but not absolutely necessary.  I think a
good teacher could use analogies to convey various ideas to a student.

I am not convinced a switch to Linux will solve
your friend's problems.  Somebody will probably
jump all over me here, I assure you I am not a
Linux basher.  I have a Sun Cobalt server in my basement after all.

However you point to one of the problems with
Linux yourself, when you say "What distro should
I use."  At some point, most Unix and Linux
discussions ultimately degrade into a "my
distribution is better than yours."  It is
counter productive and dissipates much of the advantages that the OS may have.

Linux is not for the faint of heart, or
newbie.  If you set everything up for your
friend, and maintain it, it might work for
him/her, but it may not.  There can be long commands to memorize, etc.

Further, relatively speaking there are many more
blind and visually impaired Windows users than
Linux users, so there is a community of users,
lists, tutorials, trainers, consultants etc. out
there.  This pool of resources is not as large in
Linux, and ultimately they start arguing about
the relative merits of their particular installations.

Write me off list, and we can discuss other
training alternatives, etc.  It is possible that
another approach might work.  I would guess you
are a sighted person, and may have a mouse
orientation.  I am not trying to be critical, just realistic.

Dave