gnome question

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 29 13:36:37 UTC 2006

Actually there's lots of use for speech engines on Linux provided you're
in the right line of work.  Speech recognition and speech synthesis are
found in some pretty interesting places and expensive equipment having
absolutely nothing to do with the blindness industry.  As early as 1961
speech synthesis was installed in fighter aircraft and the reason it
sounded so bad was pilots were its primary consumers and they needed to be
able to distinguish it from radio and intercom traffic.  What I've just
told you I read about in a library several years ago doing a college
research project.  Beyond that, expensive hospital equipment has speech
synthesis on it.  The magnetic resonance imaging machines and other gear
need to give patients instructions and no Microsoft hasn't got a monopoly
on that market either.