What is the best email quoting for blind users?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jun 1 12:52:22 UTC 2006

[quoted lines by M. Fioretti on 2006/06/01 at 13:53 +0200]

>Sorry, just to be 100% sure: here you are referring only to speech
>syntesyzers, or also to braille terminals?

I didn't make the original statement, but, as a braille user, I'll respond to
it anyway. The > quotes at the beginning of a line are nowhere near as annoying
in braille as they would be if individually spoken. It's very easy to skim over
them with ones fingers, or, in fact, to just begin to read each line a little
bit in from the start. A line with lots of leading > signs is indeed annoying,
but I suspect that they're just as annoying to sighted readers. The fact that
they're occasionally encountered, though, is acceptable given the far greater
inconvenience of not having them at all.