capture screen

Christopher Covington covracer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:52:27 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Tony Baechler <tony at baechler.net> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand the 2&1 syntax.  I
> thought the & put a process in the background but I've seen examples
> of using a double && to separate commands.  Is this shell-specific?

The ampersand can mean a couple of things in bash. I'm pretty sure
other shells work the same way, though. The single ampersand after a
command means to put it in the background. Double ampersands mean AND,
handy if you want to execute two programs but want to sort of queue-up
the second one. The expression on the right of the && will be executed
if the expression on the right is true (exited without error). I don't
know stderr very well but it's yet another different usage of the
ampersand.